Thursday, May 15, 2008

Keeping Organized as You Find Your Own Path


I wish I had a magic wand that anyone could use to organize himself or herself. No such luck.

The truth is that, thanks to the internet, we have access to so much more information than was available only a few short years ago. And added to the information available on the internet at any one moment are the teleseminars that I could listen to every day of the week.

I constantly find myself trying to decide whether to listen to a teleseminar discussing how to blog better – or actually write a post for my blog.

Having just listened to the BlogSquad mavens being interviewed by Cathy Goodwin, I’m totally conflicted about, first, how to keep track of all the new info I’m learning and, second, how to find the time to implement the information.

And this got me thinking about young people starting to apply for colleges or internships or first jobs. How to keep track of all the available information and then use it?

If you are a very organized person you probably have answers to these questions – and if you do, please share in the comments below. If you’re not an organized person, there are calendars and reminders and all kinds of gadgets to help. But these gadgets can’t actually do the implementing – for example, gadgets can’t write an email to someone who might write a recommendation letter for you.

I’m very good at creating physical file folders for different aspects of my projects and then adding new emails to the appropriate file folders. But then I need to find time to act on the information I’ve filed.

Here’s a technique I used today for the first time: As I listened to the Blogsquad make suggestions about a blog’s design, I made changes in www.mrslieutenant.blogspot.com.

Sure enough, I had apparently made a common error – not having my name near the top of the blog. Now the teleseminar is over and I have to make similar changes in www.flippingburgersandbeyond.blogspot.com

Therefore, I have to sign off now and implement these changes. Because if I take my notes from the teleseminar and file these notes in the appropriate file folder, I probably won’t find the time to implement the terrific suggestions.

college applications, jobs,
internships, careers

No comments: